Friday, April 19, 2024
HomeSportsExplosion on the Dakar: the question of stopping the race "arises", according...

Explosion on the Dakar: the question of stopping the race “arises”, according to Jean-Yves Le Drian

Was there a terrorist attack on the Dakar rally-raid, in Saudi Arabia? After the explosion, on December 30, of a service car which seriously injured the French driver Philippe Boutron before the start of the race, the French foreign minister considers, Friday, January 7, that it is a possibility . “There have already been terrorist acts in Saudi Arabia against French interests”, recalled Jean-Yve Le Drian on RMC.

The minister also said he wanted greater transparency from the Saudi authorities on the explosion, confirming that French investigators would go to the scene. According to him, the question of stopping the Dakar 2022 is “Pose”.

Read also Article reserved for our subscribers Explosion on the Dakar 2022: investigation opened by the National Anti-terrorism Prosecutor’s Office

Saudi authorities on Saturday ruled out a criminal act to explain what they called” accident “. For its part, the French foreign ministry called on its nationals to “Maximum vigilance”, adding, on the contrary, that “The hypothesis of a criminal act” was not “Not discarded” and recalling that “The terrorist threat persists[ait] in Saudi Arabia ‘.

Philippe Boutron out of a coma

The National Anti-Terrorism Prosecutor’s Office announced on Tuesday that it had opened a preliminary investigation in France for “attempted assassinations in connection with a terrorist enterprise” after the explosion, near the city of Jeddah, of the vehicle in which were five French people. After driving a few hundred meters out of their hotel, an explosion occurred near a gas station. The driver of the vehicle, Philippe Boutron, 61, sustained serious injuries to his legs.

For Mayeul Barbet, the co-pilot, also present in the vehicle, it was not an accident but a “Attack” using a bomb placed in the side member, one of the chassis parts. A thesis shared by Thierry Richard, 57, also present in the 4 × 4 during the drama. “We saw the impact under the vehicle. We are not stupid, we know that it is also an explosion. We took a breath in the car, described the pilot to Agence France-Presse (AFP). We were blown up. “

Repatriated after having been operated on in Saudi Arabia, Philippe Boutron is now “Out of a coma” artificial in which he had been placed to relieve his suffering, said Thursday Benoît Boutron, his son, in an interview with RMC.

The World with AFP

Recent posts